The Sugar High
- An enjoyable sweet taste, and
- A happy, satisfied feeling (from the dopamine hit you get from substances like sugar and alcohol)
- Playing with my dog Ike.
- Playing a video game.
- Meditating outside.
- Holding hands with my wife. (Too cheesy romantic? Maybe. But it’s true.)
More Smart Substitutes
- Instead of french fries, have some vegetable chips or some crunchy carrots.
- Swap soda for mineral water with lime.
- Instead of a cookie, have a strawberry.
- Swap potato chips for some air-popped popcorn.
Over time, making one simple upgrade every time you eat can add up to a lot of improved health – and a lot fewer calories!
Healthier Food Swaps:
Spaghetti → Spaghetti squash
Chips → Baked sweet potato chips or beet chips or kale chips
Fries → Baked sweet potato fries
White rice → Cauliflower rice
Mashed potatoes → Mashed rutabaga
Pizza Crust → Crust made with cauliflower rice
White flour → Almond flour or coconut flour
Salt → Lemon juice
Sandwich bread → Lettuce wrap
Sugar → Stevia
Sour cream → Greek yogurt, coconut oil, or applesauce
Toast / Bread → Ezekiel bread
Croutons → Sliced almonds (in salad)
Ice cream → Small Bowl of frozen cherries or grapes
If you need help getting over your sugar high, pick up Sugar Free Me. It’s Dan’s flagship program to help you eat less sugar.